[Esip-preserve] FYI: The Vast Majority of Raw Data From Old Scientific Studies May Now Be Missing

Ted Habermann thabermann at hdfgroup.org
Fri Dec 20 12:34:00 EST 2013

All,

What I find really interesting is when old noise becomes new data. There are a couple of examples of this I know of.

When Chris and I were seismologists (back in the day) there were a  number of us that were thinking about aseismic slip (movement w/o earthquakes) in subduction zones. This could obviously be important as a stress relief mechanism in those zones. Since that time, large-scale slip events have been identified by (at least somewhat) new processing of old data (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episodic_tremor_and_slip)...

Another example is happening with GPS receivers where old backscatter information that was once eliminated by shielding is yielding data on snow depth and characteristics around GPS receivers. A similar thing is going on with backscatter from ocean floor scanners that is being used to study marine biology...

Of course, this is not related to old data that needs to be saved... The gold mine could be the old noise!

Ted

   Director of Earth Science, The HDF Group
   Voice: (217) 531-4202
   Email: thabermann at hdfgroup.org<mailto:thabermann at hdfgroup.org>
==== HDF: Software that Powers Science ============