[Esip-preserve] Book Forgery Article

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 13:35:41 EST 2013

The New Yorker of Dec. 16 contains an interesting
article on book forgery:

Schmidle, N., 2013: A Very Rare Book: On the trail of a master forger,
TNY, Dec. 16, 2013, pp. 62-73.

So far we haven't had many reports of forged scientific
data, although back when we were doing ERBE, we were
honest about filling in a category that we could call "unobserved"
when we couldn't observe any clear-sky observations of a region for a month.
Later, we had reports that some scientists had filled in values
for those "unobserved" regions and put the copies on the Web
as "ERBE" data.  We followed a different policy for CERES
as a result.

The article is not directly related to our concerns, although
provenance and the arcane field of "diplomatics" and various
technical issues relating to chemical composition are part
of tracing through chains of evidence.

Have fun - sort of light reading for most of us.