[Esip-preserve] The End of the Internet?

James Frew via Esip-preserve esip-preserve at lists.esipfed.org
Thu Jul 3 12:40:29 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-03, 07:30, Bruce Barkstrom via Esip-preserve wrote:
> this would certainly make information preservation a more interesting
> prospect. One perspective might be the replacement of the intellectual
> environment in Europe when local languages replaced Latin as the
> standard language for scholarly discourse.

Hope so; seeing as how after fragmenting into a relatively small number
of local languages (German, French, English, Russian), scholarly
discourse out of necessity re-converged on a standard language
(English.) As an information utility, I'd expect the Internet to exhibit
the same behavior.

However, as physical infrastructure, the analogy to non-interoperable
national power (voltage, frequency) or transportation (chirality, gauge)
networks is not encouraging...

/Frew