[Esip-preserve] Fwd: definition of 'data'.

Jeff de La Beaujardiere - NOAA jeff.delabeaujardiere at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 8 14:08:17 EST 2015

It might be helpful to narrow the scope for ESIP purposes rather than
being too abstract. For example, the NOAA Data Management Planning
Procedural Directive defines
Environmental Data as
"Recorded and derived observations and measurements of the physical, chemical,
biological, geological, and geophysical properties and conditions of
the oceans, atmosphere, space
environment, sun, and solid earth, as well as correlative data such as
socio-economic data, related
documentation, and metadata. Numerical model outputs are included in
this definition. Digital audio or
video recordings of environmental phenomena (such as animal sounds or
undersea video) are included
in this definition."
(https://www.nosc.noaa.gov/EDMC/PD.DMP.php)

Regards,
Jeff DLB

Jeff de La Beaujardiere, PhD
NOAA Data Management Architect and
Acting Director, Technology, Planning & Integration for Observations
1335 East-West Hwy, Silver Spring MD 20910 USA
+1 301 713 7175 (NESDIS/OSD/TPIO - SSMC1/5236)
ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-1001-9210