[Esip-preserve] EarthCube iSamples/ESIP joint summer session (focus on physical data)

Ramdeen, Sarah ramdeen at email.unc.edu
Wed Apr 22 01:08:38 EDT 2015

Hello Everyone,

As I mentioned briefly on the call Monday, I have been talking to people from the EarthCube RCN iSamples.  They are interested in networking and collaborating with the Data Stewardship committee of ESIP.  They would like to hold a session at the ESIP summer meeting... and we have been brainstorming ideas.

To give you a bit of background, iSamples (http://earthcube.org/group/isamples) is focused on developing cyberinfrastructure for physical data sets.  This includes all aspects of the lifecycle for physical data - management, access, preservation, curation etc.  They are looking at this from the perspective of not only the field scientists who collect the data, but also from the perspective of the data manager, and those building the cyber systems by which access or use of the physical data is mediated.

iSamples has a number of working groups that are relevant to ESIP, in particular a data citations WG, a identifiers and metadata group, and one looking at what they call "user stories" but is similar to our use cases.  I would like to suggest a session where representatives from iSamples would give a brief overview of the RCN, and details about each of these working groups, and then perhaps time be dedicated to discussing overlap and future collaborations.

My only concern is - does this topic warrant its own session, or should it be combined with one of the existing ones.  In looking over the existing suggested sessions, I do not see any focused specifically on physical samples (though I know we have had a few sessions on this topic in the past).  So.... What do you all think?

Thanks!
Sarah

Sarah Ramdeen Doctoral Candidate
School of Information and Library Science
University of North Carolina
ramdeen at email.unc.edu<mailto:ramdeen at email.unc.edu>
http://ramdeen.web.unc.edu/