[Esip-preserve] possible session at ESIP

Kerstin A Lehnert lehnert at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon Oct 26 08:48:25 EDT 2015

Hi Mark,

I think that is a great idea and it would be highly valuable to develop
some vision and maybe even a roadmap how the various initiatives could
work together to maximize impact with coordinated development and
implementation of both technology and policies. In addition to the
projects, organizations, and initiatives that you mention, I would like
to also make sure that EarthCube is more embedded in these activities.

I would think that this session would need more than the regular 1.5
hours, just considering the time it would take to have each one give a
short overview of goals, structure, and activities. It would be
important to agree on some critical goals for such session.

Could we set up a call through ESIP or RDA to start a dialog about this
session?

Kerstin

On 10/26/15 08:35 AM, Parsons, Mark via Esip-preserve wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have not been keeping up with conversations about winter meeting planning, but I have a session idea that I’d like to hear people’s thoughts on. I don’t know if this belongs under the stewardship committee or more broadly, but it would seem worthwhile to have a discussion on strategic partnerships for ESIP.
>
> There’s a lot going on in the data world these days. Is ESIP playing an appropriate role? I’m of course thinking of RDA, but there is also the Council of Data Facilities and COPDESS. The Belmont Forum e-infrastructure initiative is moving in to an implementation phase, whatever that might mean. RDA/US is coordinating a collaboration effort of domain repositories to try and amplify their voice at a national level (this includes non-Earth science repositories). The National Data Service is up and running and exploring some test bed activities with RDA/US. Force11, CODATA, and others are doing things about data citation. I’m sure there’s more.
>
> ESIP members are involved in all these activities and maybe that’s sufficient, but maybe we could be more coordinated and strategic. Perhaps this is just a discussion at the business meeting, but I think it could be more. We could hear short reports on the various initiatives and then discuss ways forward. We had the beginnings of this conversation in Copper Mountain last summer. It would be good to continue.
>
> What do people think? I could help coordinate, but I’d want help.
>
> cheers,
>
> -m.

Dr. Kerstin Lehnert
Director, Interdisciplinary Earth Data Alliance
Director, EarthChem
President, IGSN e.V.

Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
Columbia University