[Esip-preserve] Reproducibility and "Fact"

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 12:59:30 EDT 2016

There's an interesting book review in a recent New Yorker:

Lepore, J., 2016: After the Fact: In the history of truth, a new
chapter begins, The New Yorker, March 21, 2016, pp. 91-94

where the book being reviewed is

Lynch, M. P., 2016: The Internet of Us

While not exactly our usual thoughts about how to establish
the truth of claims about facts, it might be useful to broaden our
discussion to consider the issues these two sources raise.
We've got the crisis in reproducibility, particularly in the social
sciences and some cases of medical investigations, as well as
the climate change denier problem.

There are also some articles in the newest CACM related to
the bitcoin economy and version control in concurrent (distributed)
systems that seem to me to have some interesting perspectives
on issues such as whether we need a trusted authority to verify
provenance and how to verify versions.