[Esip-preserve] NSF data management & sharing policies

Jeff de La Beaujardiere - NOAA jeff.delabeaujardiere at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 28 08:08:24 EDT 2016

David-

Two years after publication seems much too generous! Here's NOAA's approach:

* Data must be made accessible in a "timely" fashion, which is defined as 2
years after collection, OR 2 years after the end of the grant, OR at the
time of first publication of a paper based on the data, whichever is
SHORTER.
* Regarding flexibility, we gave NOAA grant program managers the authority
to approve requests for extensions or exemptions for valid reasons if
requested by the PIs -- the PIs can't just decide unilaterally. Such
exemptions are to be reported to NOAA Environmental Data Management
Committee for metrics purposes (but not need be approved by EDMC).

The tracking and enforcement issue remains, given that we have no actual
authority over a grant 90 days after its end. However, we can count past
performance. We ask for location/status of data accessibility in the final
report, but data might not yet be accessible. I would like to set up more
of an incentive system for PIs to report data they have shared as a result
of a grant, even well after the grant, which they can then reference in
future grant proposals to demonstrate that their past good behavior.

You can download the Data & Publication Sharing Directive for NOAA Grants,
Cooperative Agreements, and Contracts at
https://nosc.noaa.gov/EDMC/PD.DSP.php

Regards,
Jeff DLB

Jeff de La Beaujardiere, PhD
NOAA Data Management Architect
1335 East-West Hwy, Silver Spring MD 20910 USA
+1 301 713 7175 (NESDIS/ACIO-S - SSMC1/5308)
ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-1001-9210