[Esip-preserve] NSF data management & sharing policies

soren scott sorenscott at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 11:41:18 EDT 2016

NSF EPSCoR was down to a year post-publication for some, if not all, of the
30+ states and no embargo for the near real-time raw data. I can say,
having tried to put together that set of information just within ESPCoR,
the NSF guidelines were easy to track compared to the different ways all of
the research office heads interpreted them.

Put in a request to add it the data.json for the institutions? Since that's
being adopted, it's a more flexible option, log-term.

Cheers,
Soren

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Arctur, David K via Esip-preserve <
esip-preserve at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:

> Thanks Kerstin, Mark & Jeff. Not real surprising considering the number of
> moving parts and relatively new directives. But this will be tedious to
> track, much less enforce consistently, even with a registry of some kind. I
> could imagine a couple places where such a registry might find a home
> (ESIP? COPDESS?) but I’m not volunteering to do it. :)
>
> Cheers, dka
>>

> On Apr 28, 2016, at 8:04 AM, Kerstin A Lehnert via Esip-preserve <
> esip-preserve at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:
>
> I know that within the Geoscience has is currently some assessment of data
> policies going on. I'll try to find out more.
>
> Kerstin
>

> On 4/28/16 09:02 AM, Parsons, Mark via Esip-preserve wrote:
>
> And Polar does it yet another way. Indeed it varies from Program Officer
> to Program Officer. I don’t think there is any sort of NSF-wide assessment,
> but I could be wrong.
>
> cheers,
>
> -m.
>
> On 27Apr2016, at 10:27 PM, Arctur, David K via Esip-preserve <
> esip-preserve at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:
>
> Folks, I have some q’s related to data management policy requirements &
> oversight, would appreciate your feedback.
>
> Reviewing the policies of the individual NSF Directorates shows variations
> in the policy - for example Geosciences permits for a 2-year hold period *following
> collection* <http://www.nsf.gov/geo/ear/2010EAR_data_policy_9_28_10.pdf> while
> Engineering which permits for 2-year hold following publication
> <http://nsf.gov/eng/general/ENG_DMP_Policy.pdf>. Even within Geosciences
> there is variation (e.g. Division of Ocean Sciences requirement to archive
> data in specific National Data Center).
>
> Some questions that come up for me include:
>
>    - Which aspects of the current data management and sharing policy have
>    been most effective and which aspects does the NSF hope to improve?
>    - How does the NSF monitor researchers' managing and sharing their
>    data consistent with the policies and researchers' proposals?
>    - How much flexibility do PIs of ongoing research projects have in how
>    they satisfy data management and sharing requirements, in relation to what
>    they included in their proposal?
>    - Re: Engineering Directorate - I understand that data that could lead
>    to commercialization is not subject to the publication requirement. Is this
>    defined when a proposal is made? How has this been observed and used in
>    practice?
>
> Thanks for your help and thoughts on this.
>
> Best, dka
>> David K Arctur
> Research Scientist & Fellow, University of Texas at Austin

> --
> Dr. Kerstin Lehnert
> Director, Interdisciplinary Earth Data Alliance
> Director, EarthChem
> President, IGSN e.V.
>
> Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
> Columbia University
> [...]

Soren Scott
Research Coder
The Ronin Institute for Independent Scholarship
soren.scott at ronininstitute.org

just a head's up - taking a bit of a sabbatical so if i don't
get back to you right away, no worries.