[Esip-preserve] NSF data management & sharing policies

Arctur, David K david.arctur at utexas.edu
Thu Apr 28 13:50:10 EDT 2016

Here’s another compilation I just found for DMP templates across multiple agencies: https://dmptool.org/guidance?method=get&scope1=all

-dka

On Apr 28, 2016, at 12:12 PM, Bruce Barkstrom <brbarkstrom at gmail.com<mailto:brbarkstrom at gmail.com>> wrote:

The policies vary not just because of the agency differences; they also vary because of the practices regarding data distribution
and quality control.  For example, weather reports are published within a few hours of data ingest into the forecasting centers.
In the cases I've been involved with in NASA's EOS missions, the rate of data production for the larger data centers can lie
between 10,000 and probably many more than 100,000 files per day - 24-7.  The science teams on these projects undertake large-scale
validation efforts to check data consistency and uncertainty.  Just gathering the intercomparison data (checking against in-situ
measurements, for example, as well as seasonal or longitudinal averages) could take three to six months.  The same scale issues
arise in climate model intercomparisons.  In the case of the investigation of Clouds and the Earth's Radiant Energy System (CERES),
we did release the data (at whatever level) provided the data user was willing to sign on to a notice that he or she had read a caveat
about the use of the data and would report back on findings before attempting to publish them.  Of course these kinds of projects
are different from laboratory experiments in the life sciences, as well as other scientific disciplines.

Bruce B.