[Esip-preserve] Geological Society of America Session Call

Denise Hills dhills at gsa.state.al.us
Fri Aug 10 16:28:53 EDT 2018

Hi folks! I wanted to bring to your attention a session at this year's Geological Society of America<https://community.geosociety.org/gsa2018/home> Annual meeting, titled, “T41. FAIR Data—What Can Geoinformatics Do?” that we (me, Shelley Stall, and Chris Keane) feel would be greatly improved by having your perspective. The session rationale is as follows:
Data collection, data management, data sharing, and data reuse are at the core of all scientific research. Ensuring that data are open, accessible, and high-quality is therefore critical. Data that are FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable) go a long way to providing that assurance. Despite all geoscientists working with data, many are unfamiliar with what geoinformatics is and what it can do. Geoinformatics integrates different disciplines and technologies to enable the transformation of data into knowledge for the geosciences. Many geoscientists, if they know of geoinformatics, believe it is limited to Geographical Information Systems (GIS). However, geoinformatics is much more than GIS, including cyberinfrastructure development, metadata management, data and system interoperability, data rescue, among others. This session will highlight how geoinformatics can help researchers make their data FAIR, in addition to highlighting the wide variety of way that practicing geoscientists integrate geoinformatics into their research.
I think folks involved with ESIP would have some interesting perspectives on this topic, and we welcome your participation. Information about abstract submission policies<https://community.geosociety.org/gsa2018/science-careers/sessions/abstracts> can be found at the meeting website. Abstracts are due 14 August 11:59pm PDT.

Denise Hills
Director, Energy Investigations
Geological Survey of Alabama
+1-205-247-3694 (office)