[Esip-preserve] "mandatory if applicable" considered harmful

Parsons, Mark parsom3 at rpi.edu
Fri Aug 31 18:36:56 EDT 2018

Agreed. I’ll try and work all these comments into a revised draft of the guidelines in the next couple weeks. (I want to see what Peng comes up with too)

I’m thinking an approach of: Here’s the mandatory fields and how they are used. Here’s some other fields that may be essential in some situations, and here’s some examples of how those fields might apply in certain situations. The point is to do the best you can. In some special situations, even mandatory fields (like a PID) may be skipped (for now) while still providing a decent citation (if other information like location is provided).

cheers,

-m.