[Esip-preserve] Fwd: IMLS Toolkit Data nomination meeting poll - #1

Ruth Duerr ruth.duerr3 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 18:54:50 EDT 2018

Fellow data stewards,

I recently attended (along with a few other ESIP folks, like Sophie Hou and Steve Diggs) an IMLS funded workshop to plan for the development of a toolkit for ensuring government data accessibility (what used to be known as data rescue).  The first tool that was suggested was a tool to allow people, particularly agency data managers, to propose data tasks that need doing but for which there are currently no funds or staffing to perform.  For example, the kind of tasks you all provided me when I was teaching Data Curation at UIUC GSLIS.  Strangely enough, CloudBurst - a local data company has offered to develop this tool, currently envisioned as a mobile and web enabled form with a database backend.  However, they need to know exactly what information needs to be on the form as well as what the rest of the requirements might be.  I added a slot on Monday’s Data Stewardship Telecon agenda to talk about this, as it is a fast moving project where they would like to demo at the Data Fair at AGU in December and at ESIP next January.

In any case, I am forwarding a doodle poll from Joan Saez, to pick a time for a first call for this project.  I hope that many of you will be interested and will attend and please feel free to forward this to others who might be interested.

Thanks,

Ruth