[Esip-preserve] Whakapapa in context

Mark Parsons parsonsm.work at icloud.com
Sun Apr 18 18:59:13 EDT 2021

Hi Stewards,

In our last call, I talked about a group developing an IEEE provenance standard for Indigenous data provenance. I mentioned that the Māori (Indigenous people of New Zealand) have a nice world that highlights how provenance and  context are intertwined. The word is whakapapa. You can get a fuller sense of what it means by how it is used international he Māori data sovereignty principles attached below.

cheers,

-m.