[Esip-preserve] Recommendations for affordable DOI minting for commercial geospatial data

Evan Burgess evan.burgess at airbornesnowobservatories.com
Thu May 13 17:14:31 EDT 2021

Hey All,

I work for Airborne Snow Observatories
<https://www.airbornesnowobservatories.com/>.  We release a lot of public
geospatial data on snow water resources in California and Colorado.  These
data consist primarily of gridded geospatial products and pdfs with
discussion and analyses of these products.  The data is used by both
academia and operational water management agencies in real-time and is
available on our website.

We are looking into our options for minting DOIs for each of these
datasets.  We originally looked at DataCite but found it to be
prohibitively expensive.  I'm curious if anyone has suggestions for DOI
minting options that are more cost effective and appropriate for this type
of data and use case.
We recently have looked into Crossref
<https://www.crossref.org/services/content-registration/>, which seems much
cheaper but I'm unsure if disadvantages may be lurking.  Any advice on the
matter would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Evan