[Esip-preserve] Recommendations for affordable DOI minting for commercial geospatial data

Evan Burgess evan.burgess at airbornesnowobservatories.com
Fri May 14 14:07:10 EDT 2021

Mark and Amber,

Thanks much for these thoughts, this is all very helpful!  We are kind of
in a weird space as a small for-profit startup built off a NASA JPL
research program.  We have a few lingering NASA projects that are firmly in
the academic space, these data are already or will be going to a DAAC.
However, moving forward, most of our data will be entirely separate from
those academic/NASA channels.  It will be paid for by state or private
agencies, with an agreement that the data can be made public.  Most
companies would probably keep this data private, but as a public benefit
corporation we really want the data to benefit all interested parties (of
which there are lots including researchers and other non-paying agencies).
Our plan has been to manage the data archive ourselves, currently the data
is hosted on a public s3 bucket and linked to on our website rather
crudely.  Our interest for adding a DOI is partially a desire to follow
best practice but also so our company can be more better attributed when
the data is used.

Thanks,
Evan