[Esip-sciencesoftware] Software Citation Presentation - FEEDBACK Request

Nicholas Weber nmweber at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 11 19:41:44 EDT 2015

Hi Erin.

Few other small things - none of these are all that important based on what
you've already got!

1.

>From my perspective the most important element of citation to software is
that whomever wants access should  be able to actually get their hands on
the code (in as few steps as possible). That can get complicated with a
paradigm of "software papers" - So, if someone publishes a software paper,
and wants that cited.... they could also ask that a (persistent) link to
the repository is put in a footnote, or in the acknowledgement section.
Makes for double the effort - but may be worth thinking about...

2.

Related but not necessarily about citaitons...

Software citations do not generally include information about the license
that goes along with the code - but putting that information in a
repository's read me file, or another form of metadata that describes the
repository is an important element in facilitating accurate reuse.

3.

In some cases citations, and licenses can be made machine actionable as a
part of the distribution package itself.

For instance, Scott Chamberlin gives these instructions "You can get
citation information for bold in R doing citation(package = 'bold')"

See https://github.com/ropensci/bold for full description. In general I
tend to appreciate the instructions and different approaches to citing
software from the ROpenSci projects. Might be worth poking around for more
examples.

my .02 cents.

Good luck.
-Nic

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Erin Robinson via Esip-sciencesoftware <
esip-sciencesoftware at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:

>  Yep - Good thoughts. Thanks all for these suggestions.
>
>  The intended take away is around citing and attributing software as part
> of a bigger 2-day workshop. Still good to mention Software Carpentry
> training opps.
>
>  Thanks-
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Christopher Lenhardt <
> clenhardt at renci.org> wrote:
>
>>  Hi Erin:
>>
>>  Not sure what your intended take away is for the audience, but if you
>> have time you might de-emphasize the ‘why is this important’ and some of
>> the middle content in favor of expanding the end which is more of the ‘what
>> can you do’ part.  I would think the early career folks would be most
>> interested in the ‘what you can do part’.  You might include suggestions
>> like Software Carpentry, the Open Science for Synthesis Training, just to
>> name a couple of additional ideas.
>>
>>  Cheers,
>>
>>  Chris
>>
>>   From: "Esip-sciencesoftware at lists.esipfed.org" <
>> Esip-sciencesoftware at lists.esipfed.org>
>> Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 11:48 AM
>> To: "Esip-sciencesoftware at lists.esipfed.org" <
>> Esip-sciencesoftware at lists.esipfed.org>
>> Subject: [Esip-sciencesoftware] Software Citation Presentation -
>> FEEDBACK Request
>>
>>   Hi All -
>>
>>  This week I am at the GeoSoft Early Career meeting. I was asked to
>> speak on software citation.
>>
>>  Attached are some draft slides. Would love your thoughts and input in
>> this presentation. I am just the messenger here.
>>
>>  Thanks-

Nic Weber
http://nicwe.be/r
Ph.D Candidate