[Esip-sciencesoftware] potential activity for this cluster re: Winter 2016 and AIST Evaluations

soren scott sorenscott at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 12:39:09 EST 2016

Morning,

This cluster has been pretty quiet of late, but we have, through some other
ESIP activities, a thought about a potential activity that's of interest to
this group. There's some current work through Products & Services
developing an evaluation process for NASA AIST projects, specifically
related to software evaluation and maturity. That activity is expanding
towards a more generic evaluation process for ESIP Testbed projects and a
few other interested groups and we're talking about what science software
maturity looks like and how to qualify and quantify the progression from
prototype to operational for those projects.

Developing those metrics and processes seems like an appropriate activity
for this cluster so I'll ask the group if this is of interest. I'll say,
for myself as a research coder, this seems like a very real way to an
actionable, positive community project.

We will be discussing the current status of the TRL Evaluation spreadsheet
directly related to that on the next P&S telecon Tuesday, Jan 19 at 2M EDT.

If you're local to the Boulder area, we're planning an upcoming BESSIG
meeting/brainstorming session around this topic so stay tuned for that (and
get on the BESSIG mailing list). For those outside of the Front Range, if
there's interest, I'm certainly open to having a similar activity during
one of the monthly telecons.

We would love for input, as well, from more active developers as domain
experts - I would like to see an evaluation process that is meaningful for
both developers and PIs. Let us know here or through Slack (we have an ESIP
slack, fyi) if you're interested.

Cheers,
Soren

Soren Scott
Research Coder
The Ronin Institute for Independent Scholarship