[Esip-sciencesoftware] P&S working group proposal

soren scott sorenscott at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 03:39:21 EST 2016

Hello,

We had a lot of interest in tech evaluation coming out of the winter
meeting and one of those bits of interest involves the software evaluation
metrics being used for the AIST Evaluation pilot. There's interest in
revising the original guidelines for current software practices and to
better reflect certain goals of the larger ESIP community.

What's come out of that is a plan to undertake those revisions prior to
International Data Week in September and, while we have a general plan:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s6zthqMu410gFExHcYux0Gl2L8wM_6fTbKmmVUocJeM/edit?usp=sharing

We don't really have an ESIP home for it today; however, the suggestion was
made to perhaps guide this activity through a P&S working group.

This will be one of the main topics of the next call and does require a
couple of committee votes (initiate a working group and elect a chair of
the WG). In light of that, I'll ask that we consider two options:

   1. Initiate a WG, estimated 6 month duration, to organize and manage the
   activity as described in the GDoc. I have discussed the plan as described
   in the GDoc and so it's really more implementation and outreach at this
   point.
   2. Initiate a WG, but with the intended purpose of developing the larger
   ESIP technology evaluation conceptual model. We have open questions
   regarding some ESIP understanding of readiness levels and how those relate
   to the P&S testbed and the planned Semantic Tech testbed, integration and
   support for the evaluation of other research objects, and doing so in a way
   that supports the desired educational and mentoring role for ESIP through
   these assessments.

If you are interested in serving as chair of either WG option, let me know.
I do ask that you carefully consider your time commitments and real
interest in the activity given the short time frame that we have for option
#1 certainly and the level of interest in the broader ESIP community for
both.

Regardless of the outcome of the next telecon, the software guidelines
activity will continue. If you have an interest in participating or have a
dev/researcher who would be willing, also let me know. I understand that
this is an unplanned and fairly fast-moving activity. I also consider it a
necessary one for the testbed moving forward and and one that places ESIP
in a unique position combining domain knowledge of the community with
strong mentorship component in an operational system. For myself, that's
pretty cool and well worth the effort.

I am happy to answer any questions that I can before the telecon, email or
through Slack.

Cheers,
Soren

(Apologies for the cross-posting)

--

Soren Scott
Research Coder
soren.scott at ronininstitute.org

just a head's up - taking a bit of a sabbatical so if i don't
get back to you right away, no worries.