[Esip-semantictech] [MEETING] ESIP Semantic Technologies Full Meeting - May 26th

Mcgibbney, Lewis J (172B) lewis.j.mcgibbney at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue May 26 10:06:04 EDT 2020

Hello esip-semantictech@,
Reminder that we have our monthly all hands ESIP Semantic Technologies Committee meeting today.

SemTech Monthly Telecon

  *   4th Tuesday of each month at 4pm Eastern
  *   GoToMeeting: https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/976796333
  *   Phone Access: United States: +1 (872) 240-3212
  *   Access Code: 976-796-333

Dr. Lewis John McGibbney Ph.D., B.Sc. (Hons)
Enterprise Search Technologist, Web and Mobile Application Development Group (172B)
Application, Consulting, Development and Engineering Section (1722)
Information and Technology Solutions Directorate
O (818) 393-7402  |  M (626) 487-3476
https://jpl.webex.com/meet/lmcgibbn

JPL  |  jpl.nasa.gov

Looking forward to our meeting on May 26th. We have Xiaogang Ma, Department of Computer Science, University of Idaho presenting as follows.

A new structure for representing and tracking version information in a deep time knowledge graph
Xiaogang Ma, Department of Computer Science, University of Idaho
Abstract: Ontologies and vocabularies are an effective way to promote data interoperability in open data and open science. The deep time knowledge graph is one of the most discussed and studied topics in geoscience ontologies and vocabularies. In this paper we propose a new structure for version control and tracking of concepts, attributes and topological relationships in the deep time knowledge graph. In our work we have reused the existing ontologies for geologic time scale and vocabularies for the International (Chrono)stratigraphic Chart (ISC). Through the new structure, we are able to represent the whole version history of the ISC charts (from 2004 to 2018) in a single knowledge graph. Moreover, the resulting knowledge graph is consistent with the existing ontologies and vocabularies. Experiments of SPARQL queries prove the efficiency of this structure for version tracking of concepts and attributes. We are now extending the knowledge graph with concepts from regional and local geologic time standards, and building a graphic user interface for the services. In a future work, we will implement the knowledge graph in data integration workflows. We hope this research will spur more discussion and development of methods for version control of knowledge graphs in geoscience and other disciplines.

Our proposed agenda is at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wMVNI1xuG2uDasMcBxk57y1lSJfq0tKRxDvDXhYmpb8/edit#heading=h.bw0fosq1g7tc

Look forward to seeing you all on the 26th.
Lewis