[Esip-semantictech] Question about setting up & configuring the Docker-based Wikibase & components

Megan Carter megancarter at esipfed.org
Mon Nov 2 10:20:43 EST 2020

Below is a question from Sky Bristol shared in the SemTech Slack Channel
last week. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations of others he
might consult? Thanks for any leads you can provide!

"I've still been on the hunt to explore the Wikidata model and potentially
the Wikidata platform itself as an organizing principle for the USGS
corporate master data problem I posted on previously. Most of my shareable
stuff is in this Python package <https://github.com/skybristol/pylinkedcmd>.
Through that work, I've assembled information on every current USGS
employee, all from publicly available sources so far, and have been able to
gather  over 3.5 million discrete "claims" (in Wikidata speak) about our
people, complete with references and date qualifiers. That's all sitting
behind an experimental GraphQL endpoint right now for demonstration
purposes. A couple of the notebooks in the examples from the repo exercise
those data.*I took a run at setting up and configuring the Docker-based
Wikibase and components <https://github.com/wmde/wikibase-docker>* in an
attempt to see what this information would look like through the Wikidata
construct.* I got things most of the way there but have run into some
hurdles getting all the components to play well with each other. Has anyone
here had experience with the Wikibase suite of components and getting them
to work well together?* I'm not sure I've got the time or wherewithal to
dig into the issues there and PHP kind of makes my head hurt anyway. If
anyone has spun up an instance successfully and can offer some pointers, I
would greatly appreciate it.I fundamentally don't think I want to "flood
the market" of Wikidata itself with as much information as I can generate,
but I'm particularly interested in the concept of federation
<https://doc.wikimedia.org/Wikibase/master/php/md_docs_components_repo-federated-properties.html>
that
it seems like some folks are working on."