[Esip-semantictech] ESIP SemTech Committee Call on Feb 13, 2024

Zhang, Jiyin (jiyinz@uidaho.edu) jiyinz at uidaho.edu
Mon Feb 5 16:07:22 EST 2024

Dear Committee Members,

Please join us for our next SemTech Committee meeting on Feb 13, 2024 at 3PM EST.

Guest Speaker: Prof. James Ogg from Purdue University
Talk Title: "Online Databases of the Geologic Formations of Asia & Africa with Display onto Plate Reconstructions"

Abstract of Prof. Ogg’s talk: Paleogeographic maps are a synthesis of what our Earth’s surface looked like through the past millions or billion years. These are usually based on extensive interlinked databases of regional sedimentary and volcanic facies. Two goals of the Deep-Time Digital Earth (DDE) program of the International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS) Paleogeography Working Group are: (1) to interconnect online national databases for geologic formations, and to compile these online “lexicons” for countries that currently lack these; and (2) to project this vast amount of information for any time interval onto the estimated positions of the continents and seas.

Our team, In partnership with UNESCO’s Commission for the Geologic Map of the World and other geological surveys, has worked with regional experts to compile and interlink such cloud-based “lexicons” for large parts of Asia and Africa. Currently, this includes the Indian Plate (ca. 800 formations), China (ca. 3200), Vietnam-Thailand-Malaysia (ca. 600), and all major basins in Africa (ca. 700) and in the Middle East (ca. 700 formations). The main website ( https://geolex.org/ ) has links to the growing array of regional lexicons.

The meeting will include the talk followed by a brief discussion on committee business.

Feb 13, 2024, 3PM EST
Join Zoom Meeting:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82488826142?pwd=S1VXQjlYNjgraW84ODdoMnNRYVJHUT09
Meeting ID: 824 8882 6142
Passcode: 901198

One tap mobile:
+13017158592,,82488826142# US (Washington DC)
+13126266799,,82488826142# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location:
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 824 8882 6142
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcEKnC25Wq

Meeting Minutes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16Q9xmg6JLjfHQiE5t6ZxsywK4SKOz8M1N_2reynkRGs/edit

Sincerely,
Jiyin Zhang
Research Assistant, Computer Science
ESIP Community Fellow, Semantic Technologies Committee
University of Idaho
Email: jiyinz at uidaho.edu<mailto:jiyinz at uidaho.edu>

[cid:b2ee592c-0765-4c27-ac0f-679cf72da3bb at namprd04.prod.outlook.com]