[esip-semanticweb] help with marking up WMS/WCS Capability docs?

Christopher Lynnes Chris.Lynnes at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 15 15:53:52 EDT 2009

Greetings!

Over in the Air Quality Cluster, we are experimenting with using some
kind of structured markup / tagging of OGC WMS and WCS capabilities
documents (inside <Keyword> elements) to allow us to do structured
searches on the documents.  An example might be, "give me the layers
where Dataset = 'OMI_AI_G'". Seehttp://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/WMS_GetCapabilities#WMS_GetCapabilities_Layer_Description

Thing is, we figure if we are going to try to implement this kind of
markup with a quasi-controlled vocabulary, we should do it in such a
way that it is compatible with or even leverages the semantic web.  We
have pondered a machine tags approach, e.g.,
<Keyword>esip:dataset=OMI_AI_G</Keyword>.  (A link to an initial
attempt of a WMS that includes the current keyword encoding: http://webapps.datafed.net/AIRNOW.ogc?service=wms&request=getCapabilities&version=1.1.1)
.

Alternatively, we have heard RDFa mentioned for microformats, though
mostly in the context of XHTML.  Can this be applied to OGC's XML and
if so, how?

Can the ESIP Semantic Web cluster provide a recommendation or
suggestion in how to move forward that would be:
(a) flexible and extensible,
(b) compatible with the evolving ESIP datatype and services ontology and
(c) lightweight and easy to use?
--
Christopher Lynnes             NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2
301-614-5185