[esip-semanticweb] help with marking up WMS/WCS Capability docs?

John Graybeal graybeal at mbari.org
Thu Jul 16 18:46:46 EDT 2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 12:55 PM, Christopher Lynnes wrote:

>> 3) The way OOSTethys [1] chose to add more specific descriptions/
>> references to SensorML/O&M was through the use of xlink, which is
>> supported in the OGC schema. Examples are on the OOSTethys site. As
>> far as I know, this is the most used OGC practice to meet this need
>> date. (Because I don't know of any other particular recommendation.)
>> <snip>
>
> Can you point me to any specific examples (i.e., URLs to files)?
>
> I'm having some difficulty seeing how a *relationship*, like
> 'dataset=OMI_A_G' can be expressed with the xlink or URI...

I think Benno provided some examples, but to use a dead-simple one
from OOSTethys, I grabbed more or less at random one of the XML
description files, that had the snippet below at its top. The xlink is
in the 4th to last line, and simply 'tags' the sml:member element with
a unique ID pointing to the instance. While this ID was a URN, it
could just have easily been a URL that resolved to a file or a sensor
description.

I think we have many other examples but they would be harder for me to
find, sorry.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
   <sml:SensorML
     xmlns:sml="http://www.opengis.net/sensorML/1.0.1"
     xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
     xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml"
     xmlns:swe="http://www.opengis.net/swe/1.0.1"
     xmlns:oost="http://www.oostethys.org/schemas/0.1.0/oostethys"
     xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/sensorML/1.0.1
     http://schemas.opengis.net/sensorML/1.0.1/sensorML.xsd"
     version="1.0.1">
     <sml:member xlink:href="urn:mbari:org:device:1455">
       <sml:System>
          <sml:identification>
             <sml:IdentifierList>

John