[esip-semanticweb] AQ Metadata - Machine Tags

Erin Robinson emr1 at wustl.edu
Fri Jul 31 17:23:01 EDT 2009

Hi All,
I wanted to follow up on the machine tag conversation from the last few
weeks/semantic call<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Recommendations_for_Semantic_Web_Markup_of_Existing_XML>.
I think machine tags are the most flexible way for our community to move
forward, so I'm interested in testing them out in our catalog. When I looked
at the GCMD keywords already available, the groupings are helpful (science,
service, projects...). However, the names aren't machine tag names,
i.e. ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCE.AEROSOLS, and what we want is something like
GCMD:Domain=Aerosols.

How does this group think GCMD would be used as the namespace for some
machine tags? On the call, GCMD was the only namespace mentioned. Are there
other namespaces that should be considered? Are there any examples?

Thanks -
Erin

--
Erin Robinson