[esip-semanticweb] metadata ontology

Siri Jodha Khalsa sjsk at nsidc.org
Thu Jul 28 19:19:33 EDT 2011

At the ESIP semantic web cluster meeting on 7/15 in Santa Fe someone
asked about creating a metadata ontology. Peter said this idea had
already discussed and dismissed. I mentioned that ISO/TC211 has a new
project to create an ontology from the TC211 UML models. Peter said that
encoding a model into an ontology doesn't make it an ontology. I agree,
but still think that creating an ontology from the concepts represented
in the TC211 abstract models is a good idea.

I'm wondering whether this group is interested in discussing the topic.

First, some background: ISO/TC211 has developed a suite of standards to
structure the description and representation of geographic information,
beginning with a reference model. Spatial and temporal primitives are
defined to structure the description of geometry, topology and time. A
methodology to catalog features defines the elements and structure of
geographic features and their semantics. Concepts describing quality
measures, access constraints, encodings and other descriptive
information are represented.

Since the same geographic features may be described differently
according to the specific context from which they are abstracted there
is a need to address the semantics issue more rigorously in the ISO19100
suites of standards. For this reason a new project was initiated, ISO
19150, with the objective of advancing the geo-semantic web beginning
with converting, in a yet-to-be-determined fashion, the TC211 UML
harmonized model into OWL.  Would this group be interested in
participating in this effort?

sjs

--
Siri-Jodha Singh KHALSA, Ph.D., SMIEEE