[esip-semanticweb] posted initial version of ToolMatch data model

Eric Rozell rozele at rpi.edu
Thu Mar 1 17:29:26 EST 2012

The SPARQL would be really simple assuming we use some level of OWL 2 reasoning.  I think the use case should extend beyond "data accessibility" to include any attribute of a dataset.  There are probably some "explanation" tools out there that could handle all of these use cases.   In your example:

SPARQL query for what tools can draw a map of a dataset:

Assume you have a dataset URI (call it, myprefix:My_Dataset_URI)

PREFIX ...
SELECT    ?tool    WHERE    {
    myprefix:My_Dataset_URI    toolmatch:mappedBy    ?tool    .
    //alternatively:    ?tool    toolmatch:maps    myprefix:My_Dataset_URI   .
}

Explanation for matching tool:

Assume the SPARQL query finds the URI of a tool that matches (call it, yourprefix:Your_Tool_URI)

We can construct a service that explains individual triples, such as:

PREFIX ...
EXPLAIN    {
    myprefix:My_Dataset_URI    toolmatch:mappedBy    yourprefix:Your_Tool_URI    .
}

The result of this might be some provenance information that says (in provenance RDF form...):
"This tool (yourprefix:Your_Tool_URI) matches this dataset (myprefix:My_Dataset_URI) because the dataset has DAP accessibility and has a latitude variable and has a longitude variable."

The user would then have some starting point for knowing how to use the tool with the dataset.

Cheers,
-Eric