[esip-semanticweb] some ToolMatch info for inferring rules

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Wed Mar 28 10:26:55 EDT 2012

On Mar 28, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Eric Rozell wrote:

> I'm wondering if some form of explanation is also going to be a use case for ToolMatch.  It's one thing to say that Panopoly is compatible with your dataset, it may be even more useful to say that the reason Panopoly is compatible is because there is a netCDF version of your dataset (letting the ToolMatch user know that they should use the netCDF dataset with Panopoly).
>
> This is more of a stretch use case, but for the HDF-EOS2 conversion... the explanation would say "Panopoly can draw maps of this dataset   iff   it is converted to netCDF/CF"

This might be of use to an application developers for some cases.  (Data users seem to care only about which datasets will work with their tool of choice, or what tools they might use, not so much why.)

> As to your question about inferred vs. asserted usability, that would be something the explanation component would take care of.  We could create a sub-property of each of the "compatibility" properties (i.e., compatible with, visualizes, draws map of, etc.) that is used only in the case of direct assertions.  The explanation component could detect that the match was inferred due to the sub property relationship.
>
> Yet another stretch use case would be to use provenance to keep track of who asserted compatibility (so you can hunt them down when you can't get it to work!).

I think this is a great idea.  Well, not the hunting down part :-), but the keeping track part. This is useful in knowing how much to trust the assertion.  Also, if we had a provenance-related property, adding who asserted the relationship would tell us whether it is asserted vs. inferred, yes?