[esip-semantictech] Fwd: FW: Add Sweet Ontology to SDWBP 6.2 Expressing Spatial Data

brandon whitehead brandonnodnarb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 07:01:30 EDT 2016

​Hi all,

There's a relevant conversation going on with the W3C SDW-WG (spatial data
working group) about (essentially) what terminology should be used.  SWEET
was brought up as it contains many terms, and potentially relevant
structure, fit for re-use within that community.  The most recent email
(below) from Simon Cox illustrates some of the issues with SWEET as it
currently sits.

There is some really, really, good `stuff' in SWEET; there's also some
content that is, in its most positive light, debateable.  I think this is a
topic worth re-visiting.  Could SWEET be re-organised?  Would it be better
served as a series of Ontology Patterns?   (Yes, it is already broken out
by `domain'; I'm thinking of a finer level of separation/granularity -
perhaps `levels of assertion' or something along those lines would be
appropriate. )

I think this particular community is equiped, and positioned, to perhaps
make some worth while progress.   Would anyone else be interested in
participating in a Birds-of-a-feather type session at the ESIP Summer
Meeting focusing on SWEET, its current status/content, positive aspects,
negative aspects, etc.; i.e. a SWEET Working Group?   I realise this isn't
a new topic; but it may well be worth re-visiting.

Thoughts?

cheers,
/brandon​