[esip-semantictech] Fwd: FW: Add Sweet Ontology to SDWBP 6.2 Expressing Spatial Data

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 5 01:25:25 EDT 2016

This may be sideline-cheering at best, but I want to offer my support for anything that can be done to advance SWEET. It has always been a marvelous resource in my book, and I would love to see it (and its founder, by implication) get the respect I think it deserves.

I think especially valuable is the idea of adding issues to an issue tracker, so that the community can see and comment upon them openly.

One of the reasons I didn't push harder to address some of Simon's issues earlier (besides overcommitment, I mean) is that I thought some people had even more fundamental concerns about SWEET., specifically about its modeling At the time I couldn't understand these concerns very well (they were a bit subtle for my simple semantic skills), and I could not evaluate them fairly.

Perhaps if the issue tracker can get started, community members who had such concerns can volunteer them for entry in the tracker. Even if they are assessed as not valid, it will be helpful to have them documented, IMHO.

Finally, although I think SWEET already has a rehosting solution, I would like to offer whatever MMI's repositories can do to support addressing some of Simon's concerns. I have a notional internet-based scheme in mind that could make the original SWEET URIs resolvable, even as they are hosted in an MMI (or other URI-resolving) repository. If that notion might be a useful contribution, I'd be happy to share it. (Warning: It's not fully vetted. Could use help with that.)

John

John Graybeal
jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
650-450-1853