[esip-semantictech] Ontology portal recommendati

Justin Goldstein (Contractor) jgoldstein at usgcrp.gov
Tue May 24 09:31:24 EDT 2016

John, I echo you entirely!

I haven't been able to keep up with much of the recent literature, but I'm
thinking this discussion can be translated into a paper somehow.  Maybe
something for Eos which would also announce the formation of the Semantic
Technologies Committee to the broader community outside of ESIP?

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 8:58 PM, John Graybeal via esip-semanticweb <
esip-semanticweb at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:

> This conversation is so on point. Thank you Ruth for being the poster
> child (alas) and explaining things so well.
>
> Comments in-line…
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On May 23, 2016, at 9:12 AM, Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398M) via
> esip-semanticweb <esip-semanticweb at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ruth,
> >

> >> On 5/23/16, 10:58 AM, "Ruth Duerr" <ruth.duerr3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Lewis,
> >>
> >> I hadn¹t forgotten that.
> >
> > :)
> >
> >> That may resolve the identifier issue (at least in the short term -
> >> maybe) but not the question of where should the ontologies live and be
> >> curated from for the long term and how does the field guarantee
> long-term
> >> access?
> >
> > Honestly I think that your particular case demonstrates that a) long term
> > guarantees are difficult to find/achieve, and b) the ¹safest¹ tactic is
> > probably compromiseŠ at least until we (ESIP Semantic Tech Committee) can
> > agree on the platform through which to facilitate what you are after.
>
> Yes, Committee needs to set a sustainable policy direction. Add to that
> (a) ESIP as a whole (committing to the repository) and (b) funding
> organizations (for ongoing support).
>
> >> Copies of my ontologies are both on github which is where Google
> migrated
> >> them when they took Google Code down and in the ESIP semantic portal;
> but
> >> what is the real "right solution?  Is github sufficient?
> >
> > For source code management yes. For resolving URI¹sŠ No. You/we should be
> > using a semantic data portal.
> >
> >> If so, then does ESIP need a semantic repository?
> >
> > Well, IMHO the semantic repository is more than just hosting ontologies.
> > It is a critical piece of infrastructure which is topically relevant,
> > supports development and collaboration and also enables community growth
> > here @ESIP.
>
> Concur. It also provides key semantic services (e.g., semantic search,
> versioning, resolution, mapping, and inferencing), and synergistic social
> network effects.
> >
> >> Do we need both (the ³Lots of Copies Keeps Stuff Safe" concept says
> >> probably yes); but who is going to curate these and keep both copies in
> >> sync for the long term.  Yes, I can do so now (though unfunded); but
> that
> >> won¹t last forever.
> >
> > I agree. Hence the reason that I say the comment grown aspect is
> critical.
> > I would suggest that simple scripts are written to merely poll a Github
> > master branch and pull in the most recent commit into the ESIP Semantic
> > Repository. The ability to do this would either be standalone e.g. A
> local
> > script, or else could be built in to the underlying Semantic Repository
> > itself.

> [...]

________________________________
Justin Goldstein, Ph.D.
Advance Science Coordinator
US Global Change Research Program
National Coordination Office
Contractor

1800 G Street NW, Suite 9100 (*Note New Address)*
Washington, D.C. 20006, U.S.A.
phone: (202) 419-3496
e-mail: jgoldstein AT usgcrp Dot gov

http://www.globalchange.gov