[esip-semantictech] Semantic Technologies Group Community Ontology Repository (COR) Use Cases & Requirements

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 27 01:37:13 EDT 2016

Lewis,

What a great resource! I hope it continues to turn into a full STC document.  ReSpec looks cool too, nice to see that.

I had just a few questions/comments, the first is I think for you, and is the most essential in the short term:

1) There are two deployed semantic repository solutions hosted by ESIP; the proper name of one is the ESIP Community Ontology Repository, and the proper name of the second is the ESIP Semantic Portal. (The first based on MMI’s ORR, the second on Stanford’s BioPortal.)  Others may be forthcoming. Your document uses the term Community Ontology Repository throughout; sometimes it is clearly referring to *any* repository solution, sometimes it seems like it refers to the ESIP COR instance, and a lot of times it could be referring to that.  Can we please change the wording to make the generic references different in some way (lower case, at a minimum; but “ESIP semantic repository implementation” for example would be entirely unambiguous, capitalized or not).

2) To the STC community. I have of course worked with a number of specifications of ontology repository requirements and use cases. I wasn’t sure how these relate to this initiative — do we want to capture all requirements and use cases from any source, or just ones that fit known requirements of ESIP (and presumably EarthCube) community members, or something in between? How will we prioritize?

3) I notice there’s a 4D space-time requirement, I think this is just a place-holder — can you confirm?

john