[esip-semantictech] Semantic Technologies Group Community Ontology Repository (COR) Use Cases & Requirements

HUHNS, MICHAEL HUHNS at mailbox.sc.edu
Wed Aug 3 16:49:39 EDT 2016

Hi Lewis,

Thanks for initiating this document! Below and attached is a draft of several use cases that Line and I have constructed for the Semantic Repository Implementation (good name). I have tried to use the GitHub template you created. Please let me know if there is a better way for us to contribute our use cases. That is, should I modify the GitHub document directly?

Cheers,
Mike

Use Case 1. Browsing a Portal for a Relevant Ontology.

Suppose an earth scientist is gathering data about the properties of seawater, such as salinity and parts-per-million of manganese, and decides to record the values in a database. What should the scientist choose for the name of the table and the names of its columns? An appropriate ontology provides a standard vocabulary that relates the database to the data recorded by other scientists.

a.      The scientist should be able to browse existing ontologies at a portal to find ones relevant to the scientist's needs.

b.      The scientist should be able to search the portal for concepts of interest.

Use Case 2. Extending and Editing an Existing Ontology.

Once an earth scientist has located an ontology in a portal that matches the scientist's interest, the scientist should be able to add new domain concepts to the ontology and modify existing concepts for improvement or correction. The changed ontology should be stored as a new version and should not simply replace the original version.

Use Case 3. Matching Concepts among Ontologies.

Each concept in an ontology should be mapped to concepts it matches in other ontologies. Exact matches based on string matching of concept names should be provided automatically by the portal. The portal should also support matches entered manually.

Use Case 4. Annotating Text.

A portal should provide a means to annotate text by inserting links to ontology concepts into the text.

Use Case 5. Subsetting Ontologies into Projects.

If (someday) there are large numbers of ontologies in the portal, the portal should support a means to identify subsets of ontologies that can be searched and viewed separately.

Use Case 6. User Access.

A portal should provide both a GUI and a SPARQL endpoint for accessing its functionality and its stored ontologies and concepts.