[esip-semantictech] Next ESIP Semantic Technologies Budget

Narock, Thomas tnarock at ndm.edu
Thu Aug 25 11:06:03 EDT 2016

All,

ESIP leadership has requested that all committees submit budget requests for the next fiscal year by September 1. Over the next week I’d like to gather your input on items you feel are essential to the budget. A few guidelines to keep in mind. Our total budget request should be in the 10k range.  Although, please note we are not guaranteed to receive that amount. It’s more of an upper limit on committee requests. Also, each line item in the budget must have proper justification and align with a specific deliverable. For example, asking for discretionary travel funds will not be approved. However, asking for funds for 1 person to represent us at a specific meeting because it directly impacts the committee has a better chance of being approved.

And student fellows must go through the broader ESIP fellow program. I don’t believe we can fund students directly through our budget. If you have a promising student interested in semantics, please encourage them to apply to the fellows program, which is now open.

So, please start thinking about our current trajectory and where you’d like to see funds devoted over the next year. Feel free to discuss here on the mailing list or contact myself and Beth directly. The only item we had in the budget last year was funding to support the ontology portal instances. We’re looking to expand this year and are in need of your feedback.

Thanks,
Tom