[esip-semantictech] Next ESIP Semantic Technologies Budget

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 10 15:31:50 EDT 2016

> On Sep 6, 2016, at 07:59, Ramachandran, Bhaskar (GSFC-619.0)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC] wrote:
>
> But I would like to preface such implementation-level details with an articulation of how exactly such technologies could benefit Earth science.  In the industry, these technologies are constantly being adopted, and are providing the desired benefits.  But, somehow, we are still stymied by gaps in understanding, adoption, implementation, etc.

I didn’t have time to reply to this keen question earlier. Briefly, a hypothesis: What many of the adopting organizations have, whether biomedical or corporate; that EarthCube and ESIP and earth science have lacked, is a well-funded and lengthy initiative to develop an infrastructure. (And perhaps second, specific high-value target application(s) for that infrastructure.) Given that, those gaps you listed tend to be overcome.

To the extent existing applications like BioPortal and COR exist as available solutions in this space, they exist because a community of interest provided funds for a period of time to develop a repository. While there are many semantic adopters in earth science who have achieved understanding and implementation in their own domains — note particularly the many, many contributors to the EarthCube semantic road map — the narrowing of the repository implementation funding stream seems to be at the point of sustained investment. To contrast this earth science failure with a non-semantic example in the same domain, note that netCDF and its companion technologies have had a long run of successful adoption, to the great benefit of syntactic interoperability and exchange of earth science data, but clearly with extensive support from government agencies over many years.

I guess the question could be, Is continued funding the result of greater need, more appropriate and useful technology solutions, better political support, or simply the judgment of the funding organizations?

John