[esip-semantictech] SWEET now hosted on ESIPFed Github

Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398M) Lewis.J.Mcgibbney at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Apr 7 00:22:49 EDT 2017

Hi Doug,
Thanks for your mail. I’ve CC’d esip-semanticweb@ for context as this is certainly a topic of interest to the entire community now.
First things first, the URI you provided should probably be upgraded to the more recent version of the ontology… however this is beside the point.
The question you’ve asked is a very good one and something which we do not have a concrete answer for right now. I do however want to point to a very useful document available at [0]. I’ve pasted some especially relevant parts in italics below

What makes a cool URI?
A cool URI is one which does not change.

What sorts of URI change?
URIs don't change: people change them.

There are no reasons at all in theory for people to change URIs (or stop maintaining documents), but millions of reasons in practice.
In theory, the domain name space owner owns the domain name space and therefore all URIs in it. Except insolvency, nothing prevents the domain name owner from keeping the name. And in theory the URI space under your domain name is totally under your control, so you can make it as stable as you like. Pretty much the only good reason for a document to disappear from the Web is that the company which owned the domain name went out of business or can no longer afford to keep the server running. Then why are there so many dangling links in the world? Part of it is just lack of forethought.

I’m sure many of us realize and adhere to the theoretic concept of why URI’s should never change, however the fact is that the JPL server which serves http://sweet.jpl.nasa.gov will in fact be decommissioned in around 11 or so months from now. In essence however, I assume that this will not be done until we have successfully transitioned everything over to ESIP (ongoing) and we have resolved the issues you’ve highlighted.

I think that a 303 would be useful for the time being with the See Also locations targeting (possibly) the Github raw representation of the SWEEt resource e.g. [1] in the case you’ve provided below. We could maintain the 303’s for a year or so and then when the server is decommissioned hopefully many of the current users would have migrated usage to the new URI’s.

In short, I think that this is up in the air right now. The jury is out so to speak. It would be greatly appreciated if you could open an issue over on the issue tracker [2] and we could discuss this in the public forum as well as on this mailing list.
Thank you Doug.
Lewis

[0] https://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI
[1] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ESIPFed/sweet/master/sweet2.3/stateTimeGeologic.owl
[2] https://github.com/ESIPFed/sweet/issues

Dr. Lewis John McGibbney Ph.D., B.Sc.
Data Scientist II
Computer Science for Data Intensive Applications Group 398M
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
California Institute of Technology
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, California 91109-8099