[esip-semantictech] [Esip-drone] Example Drone Data Available as RDF

Carlos Rueda carueda at mbari.org
Thu Apr 13 12:12:37 EDT 2017

Hi Lewis,  and Jane:

Jane: The ESIP COR is an instance of the MMI Ontology Registry and Repository (ORR) system, deployed for ESIP as part of their ongoing evaluation of semantic repository technologies.   ORR development started a few years ago as part of the Marine Metadata Interoperability project. During the past several months we have been working on an overhauled version thanks to NSF funding through the X-DOMES project (https://www.earthcube.org/group/x-domes).

Lewis: Thanks again for your use and testing of the ESIP COR !
Just to mention that the COR supports the import of CSV contents in its vocabulary editor, see http://mmisw.org/orrdoc/vocab/import/ <http://mmisw.org/orrdoc/vocab/import/>.  This has traditionally assumed that the first column in the contents determines the unique identifiers for the corresponding terms. However, given your example below, I decided to go ahead and implement a new option in this feature such that the user can alternatively indicate that the unique identifier is to be composed by concatenating a given prefix and the row position. In this way, all given columns will correspond to properties for the terms. We still need to update the documentation link above, but for the moment you can see the description at https://github.com/mmisw/orr-portal/issues/101 <https://github.com/mmisw/orr-portal/issues/101> (Please note: this new feature may not be viable just yet for large vocabularies due to a known responsiveness/performance issue, https://github.com/mmisw/orr-portal/issues/102 <https://github.com/mmisw/orr-portal/issues/102>.)

If any questions regarding the COR and the ORR software in general, please let me know.

Carlos

> On Apr 13, 2017, at 7:42 AM, Jane Wyngaard via esip-semanticweb <esip-semanticweb at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:
>
> Lewis that's very cool, thanks!  Any chance of a readme, and/or I would like to learn how you got to the Turtle manifest!?
>
> I also did not know about ESIP COR  - what is that, are they hosting data or did you just push ours in temporarily/?
>
> Funny enough someone just asked me for exactly this kind of pipeline but for water quality rather than drone data.  I'll try replicate this weekend but maybe we could chat early next week?
>
> Also, for what it's worth - we're currently thinking those CSVs should really be NetCDFs - interested to know your thoughts on that?

> On 12 April 2017 at 20:00, Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398M) via Esip-drone <esip-drone at lists.esipfed.org <mailto:esip-drone at lists.esipfed.org>> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Andrea and Jane pointed me towards some example Drone data [0] which I started playing around with yesterday.
>
> I converted the CSV CO2Meter profile logs (generated by the drone) to Turtle [1] using the Apache Any23 CSV extraction algorithm [2] and made it available in the ESIP COR [3]. This allows simple SPARQL [4] queries to be made using the GUI [5].
>
> The simple sample query below gives us the first ten results from the dataset which have CO2 Concentrations (parts-per-million) of greater than 500 ppm
>

> PREFIX rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns# <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>>
>
> PREFIX rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema# <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#>>
>
> PREFIX morning1: <file:/usr/local/ESIPDroneClusterSoftware/example/morning1.csv>
>
> SELECT * WHERE {
>
>   ?sub morning1:Co2Ppm ?value .
>
>   FILTER (?value > 500) .
>
> }
>
> LIMIT 10
>

> If anyone would like to learn how I created the Turtle manifestation of the CSV data then let me know and I can detail.
>
> Lewis
>

> [0] https://github.com/ESIPFed/ESIPDroneClusterSoftware/tree/master/example <https://github.com/ESIPFed/ESIPDroneClusterSoftware/tree/master/example>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/TeamSubmission/turtle/ <https://www.w3.org/TeamSubmission/turtle/>
> [2] http://any23.apache.org/dev-csv-extractor.html <http://any23.apache.org/dev-csv-extractor.html>
> [3] http://cor.esipfed.org/ont/~lmcgibbn/morning1v2 <http://cor.esipfed.org/ont/~lmcgibbn/morning1v2>
> [4] https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/ <https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/>
> [5] http://cor.esipfed.org/ont/sparql <http://cor.esipfed.org/ont/sparql>
>

> Dr. Lewis John McGibbney Ph.D., B.Sc.
>
> Data Scientist II
>
> Computer Science for Data Intensive Applications Group 398M
>
> Jet Propulsion Laboratory
>
> California Institute of Technology
>
> 4800 Oak Grove Drive
>
> Pasadena, California 91109-8099

> [...]