[esip-semantictech] basic questions about STC Use Cases and Requirements

Beth Huffer beth at lingualogica.net
Sun May 14 07:20:18 EDT 2017

Hi John,
You're correct that the STC Use Cases and Requirements were created to aid in the evaluation of the ontology repositories. The target use cases for the evaluation are 4.1, 4.2, 4.4 and 4.7. Some of the initial, high-level use cases were combined because they were essentially variations on the same thing. Some of the use cases were treated as functional requirements. We expect that when the evaluation begins we will work with Annie to solidify the process for the evaluation. But I think in large part the idea is       to have the evaluators attempt to do the things specified in the use cases and report on their experience.
As for requirements, if you'd like to write up additional, or more detailed requirements, and send them around so everyone has a chance to weigh in on them, that would be great. We have tried to link requirements to use cases, and the requirements are high-level by design (somewhat). They're mostly functional requirements - users of the repository must be able to do x - because doing x is necessary for one or more use cases. For example, users must be able to browse ontologies because doing so is necessary when editing an existing ontology. But we want to be neutral about how that requirement is satisfied. We want the evaluators to just try doing this stuff, i.e, try editing an ontology. If the browsing requirement isn't satisfied, or if it is satisfied, but provides a bad user experience, we want that to come out of the evaluation. In other words, I think we want to be a little careful about saying how a requirement needs to be       satisfied. User just