[esip-semantictech] scheduling demo of Doug's CDF registry

Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398M) Lewis.J.Mcgibbney at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 3 15:26:36 EDT 2017

Hi Doug,

From: Douglas Fils <dfils at oceanleadership.org>
Date: Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 6:00 AM
To: "Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398M)" <Lewis.J.Mcgibbney at jpl.nasa.gov>
Cc: "esip-semanticweb at lists.esipfed.org" <esip-semanticweb at lists.esipfed.org>
Subject: Re: scheduling demo of Doug's CDF registry

Lewis,

  Sorry for the delay in getting back on this...  traveling.

  I've not seen this paper but I would love too.  Alas..  being part of a non-profit we don't subscribe to any publisher access.  Could you DM me a copy of the paper in slack?

Done!

With respect to the prov challenge.  I guess there are two "ideas" there that connect to the working group developments.  One would be the "Connect with CDF" you referenced (https://esipfed.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/215365).   The connection would be that the CDF represents the data facility and provider community.   The connection between PROV and this facility metadata work really is around the concept of "publishing" which you brought up in the call.   CDF is a good way to engage with data publishers interested in these topics and some of whom have demonstrated a willingness to help test ideas.

We really need to be able to ease the burden on publishers of metadata and prov and also connect that publishing back to a value those providers can see.   Many facilities are already exposing metadata to be harvested by groups (like DataOne or others) and also information for archiving requirements.   To come to them with something like schema.org (or more directly JSON-LD wth vocs like schema.org, re3data, GeoLink, etc) and then also say "now also publish prov records" is going to be difficult.  Their first question is going to be "show me how doing this provides more return than the investment it takes to do it".

Can you add the above sentiment to the Idea? The more we have over there the easier it will be for us to progress discussion on the topic.

One key to this I think is also making that publishing as simple as possible.  That is way I am interested in the prov-aq work at W3C.    I put this into the idea collection at https://esipfed.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/214284    Adam Shepherd and I are working on deploying some initial end points from our data repositories for this and also working up some simple testing clients too.   In retrospect that idea should really have been titled  "exploring simple prov publishing patterns for data providers".  Which may or may not be prov-aq.

My hope is that by making both JSON-LD based metadata and prov as easy to expose as possible to the data providers (or tools, or anyone) the "value" goal we have to reach initially doesn't have to be as high.     Then, once there, the tools and others can start to value add on those initial resources and we can start to see a sort of network effect kick in.

We have to get that first step easy though for people.

Look forward to talking more about all this at ESIP!

Take care

Doug