[esip-semantictech] Ecology ontologies

Justin Goldstein - NOAA Affiliate justin.goldstein at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 12 10:44:34 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,
  In Vol 111, Issue 7 of this list, I had inquired about "NOAA Ontologies"
in order to assist with some vocabulary work associated with my job.  Thank
you to all for great suggestions.  I have completed that part of my
assignment but am now in need for ontologies that could be used to describe
ecological processes, *the context being to look at terrestrial ecological
processes that are measurable and quantifiable from space.*

   Basically, I'm looking for an ontology that contains and relates items
such as trophic levels, food webs, Gross Primary production, aquatic
biogeochemistry, nitrogen deposition, photosynthesis, etc.

   I've done a lot of research.  The OBO Eco
<http://www.obofoundry.org/ontology/ecocore.html> seems intriguing but
navigating to the .owl file produces a 404 error.  Similarly, the PCO
<https://code.google.com/archive/p/popcomm-ontology/> is now closed.  SWEET
doesn't seem to have the granularity needed, and Darwin Core isn't quite
what I'm looking for since it focuses more on geology/paleontology.  I
didn't see much pertaining to the above terms in the ESIP COR.

   The best I've found so far is this SeaDataNet ontology
<http://vocab.nerc.ac.uk/collection/P03/current/> on the NERC Vocabulary
Server.

   Ideally, I'd really something that both fits the criteria described
above and which is actively being updated and used so that I could justify
the selection of the ontology.

   Any ideas would be appreciated.

   Thank you very much.
   Justin