[esip-semantictech] Ecology ontologies

Mark Schildhauer schild at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Jul 13 17:57:43 EDT 2018

Hi folks,
Just wanted to chip-in that the US NSF-sponsored "Arctic Data Center"
repository (http://arcticdata.io) as well as DataONE (http://dataone.org)
are also developing ecological ontologies (RDF/OWL), building from the
framework provided by ENVO, that is currently being aligned with SWEET.

Our specific initial focus is on ecosystems carbon-cycling phenomena, and
we are close to unveiling our work. It heavily imports terms from ENVO,
that in turn is OBO Foundry-compliant so is importing terms (Classes,
Object Properties) etc from PATO, RO, UO, IAO, BFO, etc.  In addition we
are playing close attention to assure compatibility with schema.org terms,
and incorporating Observations&Measurements models (e.g. O&M and OBOÉ) to
facilitate using our ontology to semantically annotate ecological data.

Matt Jones and I will be at the upcoming ESIP meeting in Tucson next week
if anyone walks to learn about our progress, or finds ways to
synergize/collaborate!

thanks.

cheers,
Mark
-----
Mark Schildhauer, PhD
Director of Computing (ret.)
Co-PI, Arctic Data Center
Co-PI, LTER Network Communications Office
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis, NCEAS, UCSB
735 State St., Suite 300
Santa Barbara CA 93101
Email: schild at nceas dot ucsb dot edu
Web: http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu; http://arcticdata.io <http://arcticdata.io/>
; http://lternet.edu
NOTE CHANGE-- Ph: 805-886-9526  FAX: 805-893-7541