[esip-semantictech] ACDD vocab as RDF

Jonathan.Yu at csiro.au Jonathan.Yu at csiro.au
Wed Nov 7 01:48:58 EST 2018

This came out of work we've been doing to develop netCDF-LD. We are developing a standard and a toolkit to encode RDF graphs from netCDF (meta)data to start enabling data fusion, data discovery, and other use cases. However, we identified a few gaps.

The challenge we hit was the many conventions used to encode information in netCDF don't have stable web identifiers (ie. URIs). These are often described in documentation but often not machine readable/check-able (though CF has a checker). Our WG identified in the context of netCDF, that CF and ACDD were important conventions to be able to describe netCDF-LD graphs with. There are others of course...

We're at a point where we can generate these graphs, but there is limited infrastructure to support their identity (though for CF standard names - NERC and MMI have done some work in this area).

Ultimately, we'd like to be able to provide SPARQL endpoints to accompany the netCDF files and provide semantic querying/inferencing. This could sit alongside their access via THREDDS/Hyrax for example.

A new and parallel piece of work we're embarking on is to develop a tool that can take a set of netCDF files and output schema.org flavoured RDF graphs (in RDF or JSON-LD). These could then be served as landing pages or accompany the archived files. Some wiki notes here on the mapping: https://github.com/binary-array-ld/bald/wiki/Schema.org-mappings

The learning is that most of ACDD maps to schema.org, so it should be quite a straightforward task.

Regards,
Jonathan