[esip-semantictech] Linked Data Notifications (LDN) and Software Implementations

Douglas Fils dfils at oceanleadership.org
Fri Jan 25 12:41:08 EST 2019

Tom,  Lewis, all

  So been following this thread.     I reviewed the LDN spec a bit and I was very interested in how it compares and contrasts to both Web Annotations protocol spec [1] and the PROV-AQ pingback [2].    Indeed, I could almost see PROV pingback migrating to this a bit.  (there are contrasts though too).

  I'm particularly interested in this since I am looking at making the EarthCube P418 Gleaner code [3] a bit more of a service.  Part of that is to allow people to submit sitemaps and test them against community established SHACL shapes.  I have bits of that working on my laptop now.   I was actually trying to resolve how to notify people when runs are done and also wondering if machine to machine notifications needed to be part of that.   To be honest, LDN seems a bit heavy and convoluted for what I want..  which would likely work with a simple webhook into github or slack for example.  Still, I wonder if I can get both with little extra code.   LDN might be interesting for actions based on new builds of the graph from indexing the involved facilities though.

   Additionally LDN looks very closely tied to the TBL / MIT Solid work.   I have a solid account at:  https://fils.solid.community/ and https://fils.solid.community/inbox/ for my inbox (as seen in the LDN notes).   Was chatting with Adam a bit about this this morning too and he set his up too (s/fils/ashepherd for his).  So these might make really nice targets for testing this with.

  So, if I can work in some LDN calls in my current work I will let people know...   the overall coding effort doesn't seem heavy.

Take care

Doug

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-protocol/

[2] https://www.w3.org/TR/prov-aq/#provenance-pingback