[esip-semantictech] ESIP Linked Data Notifications (LDN) Service Launched

Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398M) Lewis.J.McGibbney at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Feb 4 13:01:30 EST 2019

Hi esip-all@ & esip-semanticweb@,

We’re happy to announce the release of a brand new ESIP LDN service.

What are LDN?
LDN [1]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_Data_Notifications#cite_note-1> is a W3C<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web_Consortium> Recommendation<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web_Consortium#W3C_recommendation_.28REC.29> that describes a communications protocol<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_protocol> based on HTTP<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertext_Transfer_Protocol>, URI<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier>, and RDF<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework> on how servers (receivers) can receive messages pushed to them by applications (senders), as well as how other applications (consumers) may retrieve those messages. Any web resource (like a HTML<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML> page) can advertise a receiving endpoint (inbox) for notification messages. Messages are expressed in RDF, and can contain arbitrary data.
The ESIP LDN uses the existing Community Ontology Repository [3] (COR) service as the storage backend and data access mechanism.

Why?
This work was motivated by the recent presentations at the Winter session titled Provenance for connecting climate adaption decisions to data [0]. Specifically, Tom Narock introduced the concept of LDN as a means of improved communication of information for this use case.
In implementing the ESIP LDN we’ve demonstrated that ESIP’s investment in the COR is valued and that the COR software stack can be leveraged for applications and knowledge exchange far outside of being simply an information repository. It is now part of a growing linked data infrastructure and I am sure we will continue to see the software stack grow in usage and popularity.

Where is the service running and where is the documentation?
You can access the service at [1] with the REST API documentation available at [2]. Note, right now the service is primarily accessed through REST. It is not really designed as a Web application.

Where is the code?
The code is open source, licensed permissively under the Apache License v2.0. It can be found at [4].
.
Questions/Suggestions/Feedback
Get in touch with us at the ESIP Semantic Technologies mailing list [5]. We will be happy to hear from you.

Lewis

[0] https://sched.co/JORx
[1] http://cor.esipfed.org/ldn/
[2] https://github.com/ESIPFed/pyldn/wiki/LDN-Service-REST-Worked-Example
[3] http://cor.esipfed.org/
[4] https://github.com/ESIPFed/pyldn

Dr. Lewis John McGibbney Ph.D., B.Sc.
Data Scientist II
Computer Science for Data Intensive Applications Group (398M)
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
California Institute of Technology
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, California 91109-8099