[esip-semantictech] [datadiscovery] Survey on current practices in using schemas to describe research datasets

mingfang mingfang.wu at ardc.edu.au
Wed Feb 27 07:47:44 EST 2019

Dear Members of the RDA DDP IG and ESIP- semanticweb,

I am writing to invite you to participate in a survey.

*As you may be aware, there is widespread and growing use of metadata
schemas such as schema.org <http://schema.org> to describe research data,
add structured metadata to landing pages so that they can be indexed by,
and searchable through web search engines. If you have adopted or extended
metadata schema in some way, have undertaken a crosswalk from a metadata
schema to Schema.org, or have conducted preliminary exploration of
Schema.org for its suitability for a specific repository, we would very
much appreciate your participation in a survey on “Current practices in
using schemas to describe research datasets <https://goo.gl/iLunug>”.Your
contributions will enable communities to work together to address common
issues on data discoverability and interoperability. By carrying out this
work under the auspices of the RDA, we hope to engage researchers globally
to determine the current working practices, and to derive solutions that
are aligned with community efforts in the domain; the survey will be
analysed to identify commonalities and gaps across disciplines, and will
inform future work on providing guidance on using schemas to describe
research datasets, and in the planning of an RDA working group “Using
schema.org for research dataset discovery
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cuxZGfL0I7dCu8sGcFzlVAKPddggKkbxtcrT7FZgr-I/edit#heading=h.ny0ei71752et>”
(Name and scope to be developed). Your completion of the survey by 25th
March would be most helpful to us - it should take about 15 minutes to
complete. Should you require any clarification about the survey or wish to
comment on the questions, please feel free to reply to this email.  Please
help to forward this email to your network for wider participation.
Thanks!Please click here <https://goo.gl/iLunug> to start the survey.
Regards,Mingfang on behalf of Preparation group for the RDA Schemas WG *

--
Dr Mingfang Wu

*Australian Research Data Commons <http://www.ardc.edu.au/> * T: +61 3 9902
4646 | E: mingfang.wu at ardc.edu.au | O:0000-0003-1206-3431
<http://orcid.org/0000-0003-1206-3431>
Physical address: Monash University, Building T, Ground Floor, 100 Sir John
Monash Drive, Caulfield East, VIC 3145