[esip-semantictech] [EXTERNAL] More information on SELFIE: the Second Environmental Linked Features Interoperability Experiment

David Blodgett dblodgett at usgs.gov
Wed Mar 27 13:28:12 EDT 2019

I'd be game to work more on the LDaaS concept. Need to find the right niche, but there is certainly a need and ESIP is a good neutral-ground that could help fill a community need.

Long term, HUCs should not change, but our knowledge of how rivers connect at the continental scale is not perfect yet... getting there. I like the idea of a session on the intersection between important features and feature-oriented observations and various remotely-sensed and modeled data products (cell/raster-based or feature-coverage based). I've got a related session I need to submit actually...

SELFIE use cases are basically wide open. One I would love to pursue would be how to go from an identified feature (maybe a HUC or a county) to a useful collection of remotely sensed information that overlays or is otherwise related to that feature. In our ID -> info -> data resource model, it's clear that "data" need not be limited to representations of the thing that is identified, but could be interesting related data like an elevation surface or observed landcover etc. -- the key is that SELFIE participants bring their own use cases and commit to use interoperable and adoptable approaches as a group.

- Dave