[esip-semantictech] 1st Pass science-on-schema.org now operational @PO.DAAC

Adam Shepherd ashepherd at whoi.edu
Thu May 16 13:59:18 EDT 2019

Thanks Lewis! This is great news! Just wanted to provide a status report
on where things stand on science-on-schema.org

1) As part of EarthCube P419, we will be working out improved temporal
coverage capability (using OWL-Time) and for describing streaming data
and data APIs. There will be SUmmer Meeting sessions on these two topics
if you wish to inform the process. Once this work is completed, we will
migrate that to updated guidance docs at the Github repo for
science-on-schema.org. https://github.com/ESIPFed/science-on-schema.org/

2) Schema.org has moved to monthly, smaller updates to the vocabulary,
and we monitor those, and publish ideas in the Github Issue queue.
Please weigh-in in that issue queue if you have a need for extension to
the core schema.org or any other support:
https://github.com/ESIPFed/science-on-schema.org/issues

3) There has been some discussion about renaming the effort to not claim
all of science into something like what the life sciences have done with
bioschemas.org. I purchased geoschemas.org and we could use that moving
forward for hosting the guidance documents from Github as HTML. One nice
thing about serving it through a website would be the opportunity to
follow Linked Data best practices and content negotiate URIs when we
start hosting our own schema.org extensions (see #1 - temporal will need
an extensions property to support OWL-Time)

4) Lewis, Beth and company have made a great head start on turning the
science-on-schema.org into an ESIP recommendation. I'd be interested in
fleshing that out at the Summer Meeting if others are also interested.
If so, maybe we could grab a room for a working session on that
document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O539ROr9W7FUEDzR2ni2H2Doxx_2zK8AF-sma8pBDe0/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers, Adam

Adam Shepherd
Technical Director
Biological and Chemical Oceanography Data Management Office
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
MS #36, Shiverick
Woods Hole, MA 02543

email:ashepherd at whoi.edu