[esip-semantictech] http://cfconventions.org/

Parsons, Mark parsom3 at rpi.edu
Tue Jan 14 22:20:27 EST 2020

Agreed. A name without a persistent, unique, registered, and resolvable identifier (a PURRI? :-)) is of limited value in today’s world.

I might argue that sorting out the issues of persistence, uniqueness, registration, and resolvability could drive greater consensus on what a term like ‘atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_black_carbon_ambient_aer’ actually means. Those who care about the term should maintain the term and make it open broadly.

This means that we will never have a master list. We will have multiple lists that at times conflict. But if we can reference our ambiguity precisely, we can better sort out the differences and tell our machines to do the same.

yours in abstraction,

-m.