[esip-semantictech] [EXTERNAL] Re: NASA GCMD Keywords Version 9.0 Released (2019-11-12)

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-5860) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Wed Jan 15 09:00:03 EST 2020

With the disclaimer that I too have become embroiled in (and occasionally instigated) measurement convention dust-ups around whether the granularity is too fine | coarse:

Maybe it is time to admit that we will *never* achieve universal or maybe even widespread agreement on which convention (CF, CSDMS, GCMD / UMM-Var, Airborne Atmospheric Chemistry, SWEET, etc.) properly addresses what level of granularity.

Maybe we should devote our energy instead to describing and even quantifying the level of granularity of the different conventions and working out how to provide scalable SKOS-ish bridges among them.
—
Christopher Lynnes   NASA/GSFC    301-614-5185
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” A. de St. Exupery

On 1/15/20, 05:12, "esip-semanticweb on behalf of Siri Jodha Khalsa via esip-semanticweb" <esip-semanticweb-bounces at lists.esipfed.org<mailto:esip-semanticweb-bounces at lists.esipfed.org> on behalf of esip-semanticweb at lists.esipfed.org<mailto:esip-semanticweb at lists.esipfed.org>> wrote:

All,

Last summer ESDIS conducted a review<https://rms.earthdata.nasa.gov/review.req#/r:REV-492> of a proposed evolution of ESDIS's Unified Metadata Model - Variables (UMM-Var). From the Introduction (since some of you may not have access to the JAMA review system, emphasis mine):

The UMM Variables Model (UMM-Var) has a field called 'MeasurementName', which allows metadata curators to provide community-sourced names to further describe variable data, and hence the measurements which these data variables describe. The UMM-Var encourages tagging of variables with standardized Measurement Names that can be surfaced in NASA's Earthdata Search when users conduct an End-to-End Services search and discovery workflow, and can help cluster similar variables, even when their native names are quite dissimilar. The UMM-Var approach to Measurement Names is to tag (or associate) variables with standard Measurements from community-reviewed sources that help identify the most important characteristics of the variable, i.e., the object of the measurement, and the quantity being measured. The mechanism with which we do this is the subject of this review.

The purpose of this review is to determine if the recommended approach and revised field structure for Measurement Names is appropriate for all stakeholders who will be adding and populating Measurement Names in UMM-Var records. The goal is to have a high-quality, normalized, and structured set of Measurement Names that are semantically-interoperable.

An additional purpose of this review is to ensure that appropriate community sources of Measurement Names are being captured. We are starting out with a "seed" list here. There may be additional sources of Measurement Names that could be considered and NASA should be aware of these when populating UMM-Var records in the Common Metadata Repository (CMR).

Note: This review is not just about the Measurement Names, but the approach for making them controlled and the revised field structure in the UMM-Var. These go hand-in-hand. We also want to make sure we are looking at the right sources for the Measurement Names. We are not making up new Measurement Names, just deriving them from well-vetted community sources. The list in the proposal is the preliminary list to "seed" the Keyword Management System, and that will expand over time as we add additional Measurement Names
The review generated a lot of discussion about GCMD vs CSMDS, SWEET, CF, ENVO, etc., and how to manage community-contributed terms and vocabularies.  I have added the manager of that review, Simon Cantrell, to this thread to hopefully 1) solicit his input on the current discussion, 2) explain the status of UMM-Var and 3) also explain why the GCMD Measurement Names seem to entirely ignore where UMM-Var appeared to be headed, i.e. 'MeasurementName' is composed of MeasurementIdentifiers, MeasurementObject, MeasurementQuantity, MeasurementContextMedium and MeasurementUnits, each of which is a controlled list.

Cheers,

SiriJodha