[esip-semantictech] EcoPortal - Invitation to upload semantic assets and form a community of users

xeni.kechagioglou xeni.kechagioglou at lifewatch.eu
Thu Oct 14 11:07:10 EDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

http://www.lifewatch.eu/, the e-Science European Research Infrastructure Consortium for biodiversity and ecosystem research, has deployed http://ecoportal.lifewatch.eu/, a repository for semantic resources in the ecological domain, to
be used by different stakeholders (researchers, vocabulary managers, ontologists, data
managers, policy-support officers, developers) and is now in the process of populating it.

Your research and semantic assets are particularly relevant to the
thematic scope of our repository: ecology, biodiversity, as well as
biological and physical environmental observational data. We would therefore appreciate
it if you shared your resource - be it an ontology, a controlled list of
terms, a thesaurus, or any sort of ecological asset you may have created in RDF or
OWL - in EcoPortal. We can provide support and https://github.com/lifewatch-eric/documentation/wiki throughout the process, as well as add value to your resources with the
assignment of a DOI, following a validation process based on the FAIR
principles.

The vision is to provide a unique entry point for all ecological
semantic assets, continually improved with the involvement of a community of users. In fact, we would also like to ask
you to express your interest in getting involved in use case design and
development. This could include, for example, scenarios of exchange of metadata, metrics, concept mappings and annotation.

In case you would indeed like to share your
resources in EcoPortal, we would kindly ask you to scroll through the attached
table and notify us if the information regarding your asset is incorrect.

Attached to this email you
will also find a recent paper on EcoPortal, as well as the repository's documentation.

Hoping you are
interested in EcoPortal, we are looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Xeni Kechagioglou

Ontology Developer

LifeWatch ERIC

Alberto Basset

Full Professor of Ecology

University of Salento

73100 Lecce -ITALY

tel. +39-0832-298722; mobile +39-388-1687222

skype: alberto.basset

Salento University Prorector of Sustainability

Past President of the Ecological European Federation (http://www.europeanecology.org)

LIfeWatch-ERIC Executive Board  (http://www.servicecentrelifewatch.eu)